THE CLIENTS: A family wanting to update their prairie-style home’s kitchen. The layout’s angled peninsula, so popular in the ’90s, was not working for this busy family. The traffic pattern was restricting and the workspace inefficient. They wanted to open the space up and longed for more storage and space to spread out when preparing meals. They loved the natural elements that are indicative of prairie design and wanted the kitchen to reflect that feeling. The wife wanted a truly organized kitchen with no wasted space.
- Rework the floorplan to maximize efficiency.
- Provide maximum counter space for baking and food prep
- Maximize organized and convenient storage
- Use natural materials and clean lines to compliment the style of the home.
- This client had been recommended by another client. She was intrigued when she heard that an organizational plan was part of our planning process. She wanted a super-organized space and had been searching for a design firm that approached kitchens with that in mind. Once the kitchen was completed, she used the “Organization Roadmap” we provided to not only put things away but to train her family. She actually put labels inside each cabinet to help them put things back where they belonged.
- The angled peninsula was replaced with a large island with seating for 5. The sliding door to the yard was repositioned to maximize the workspace. A bench seat with storage was designed to match the cabinets. It provides additional seating at the table. The cabinets on each side house personal storage for family members, including a spice rack for medicines and a space for charging phones. A magnetic chalkboard was built into the side of the refrigerator cabinet to keep notes and reminders handy but out of view. All of the cabinets were custom designed to minimize seams and maximize storage.
- Inset style cherry cabinets and earthy granite countertops were chosen to compliment the prairie style of the home. The striking taupe subway tile backsplash is highlighted with glass and stone mosaic accent tiles. The side-opening oven makes baking more efficient. The large scale of the prairie-style light fixture balances the space as it illuminates the island.